The Symphony of Modern Humanity

I echo the words of Ne-Yo when I say, I am so sick of love songs...I think it is time to turn off the radio! It seems that almost every song on the radio is to the theme of falling in love, breaking up, hating love, or wanting love. If they're not about love then they choose something completely obscure or random to talk about, like "chiggity china the chinese chicken, you have a drumstick and your brain quits tickin'." Mindless lyrices only contributes to a mindless and lost generation of fanatical teenagers sold on any group regardless of their lyrical ability.

I commute for at least 2 hours a day and despite my disappointment in the main stream music industry, I find myself listening to Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Beyonce all day long (these ridiculous song stick to the brain like superglue). One particular day on my commute home I landed on Katy Perry's song, "Thinking of you." As I actually spent a second to listen to what she was singing about, I got to thinking what LOVE means. As defined by her song, it is an obsession of one perfect person that is your "soul mate." According to her, without being in a relationship with that one person we are forced to, "settle for second best." Although she has a man, she is always thinking what it would be like if he, the soul mate, was the one spending the night instead of the one she is with. Really, is that love? NO, that's sick! Get to thinking, Katy, and move on! I know it's not always that simple especially falling in and out of love... but I highly doubt that what she is feeling is actually TRUE LOVE. Same goes for you and your love story Taylor Swift, sounds more like a shotgun wedding.



So this brings me to my point. Why do we let the media tell us how to live our lives anyway. I understand that musicians are merely people trying to blog about their lives and therefore have the right to sing about whatever they'd like. But, that doesn't reduce the fact that I just get so sick of seeing the rising generation stuck on this mumbo jumbo. I've come to the conclusion that life is so high paced and so over stressed that people are too busy to think for themselves. Don't even get me started on the difference in media coverage between Bush and Obama, one can't do anything right and the other can't do anything wrong. When will we find the balance? When will we learn to think and understand for ourselves and turn off the noise?

Sometimes I make the 2 hour commute with the radio off. Manny thinks I'm weird to do this, but sometimes I just can't handle the sensory overload. I hate that whatever I want to think or feel someone has already done and has written a song or book about it to tell me how I need to live it. I know it is good to learn from others, but sometimes I want to EXPERIENCE life for myself.

1 comments:

Preethi said...

I'm glad you guys are keeping your blog! On a marginally related note, I also commute about two hours a day, and I'd highly recommend the Pimsleur language training CDs, available at your local library. :) (Puedo hablar un poco espagnol ahora!) This can be supplemented with talking to your mom daily, NPR, and perhaps an iPod. Way better than most of the "music" currently available, sadly.

what people eat

what people do

what people say

what people believe